Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ahhhh, yummy holiday food!

Have you ever wondered why there are foods that we only eat at the holiday times & never eat them at other times of the year? I am super guilty of this mindset! I do have a wonderful recipe that I reserve for the holidays & I have even renamed it "Christmas Quiche" formerly known as "Spinach Quiche". It is delicious & can be modified to your tastes! I make this Christmas morning after all of the presents have been opened. When it is doen it has a beautiful appearance of red & green! It is easy, warm & delicious. If you entertain guests this would be wonderful with Irish coffee &/or mimosas. Enjoy!

Spinach Quiche or Christmas Quiche (not sure of original source!)

Prep: 25 min Bake: 60 min Oven: 450 degrees Stand: 10 min Makes: 6-8 servings

1 recipe pastry for Single Crust Pie (I use store bought, frozen, Pillsbury that is in a roll, allow a few minutes to defrost)
1/2 C. chopped onion (1 medium)
6 slices cooked bacon (sometimes I substitute chopped ham that is warmed in a skillet)
8 beaten eggs
1/2 C. dairy sour cream
1/2 C. half & half, light cream or milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Dash ground nutmeg (optional)
3 C. lightly packed chopped fresh spinach
2/3 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C. shredded Swiss cheese
Cherry tomatoes cut up (optional) Sometimes I use roasted red peppers from a jar

1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4-5 minutes more or until pastry is set & dry. Reduce oven temp to 325 degrees.

2. Meanwhile in a large skillet cook onion & bacon until onion is tender & bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels.

3. In a bowl stir together eggs, sour cream, half & half, salt, pepper, & if desired, nutmeg. Stir in onion mixture, spinach & cheeses. (& ham or roasted red peppers, if desired)

4. Pour egg mixture into hot pastry shell. Bake in the 325 oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired garnish with cherry tomatoes.

This is such a great recipe that it can be used throughout the year! Also, I have found that it is so delicious that you won't want to eat the frozen quiche again! And yes, REAL men do eat quiche. Look for photos on Christmas day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there , the paint I used inside the playhouse was actually interior latex paint , this is the first winter so we will see in the spring if it held up , nothing bad happened when it rained this summer so I am hopeful , probably best to use exterior , I just used what I had lying around.
    Thanks for leaving a comment .
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

I truly LOVE your comments and hope that you will take a second and share your thoughts with me! I will return the favor, too!